How can those who come with the Work & Travel program stay in the U.S.?

An essential aspect to highlight concerning this matter is the stipulations of the J1 visa granted to participants of the Work and Travel program. A provision known as the “2-year rule” is occasionally associated with this visa type. To verify the applicability of this rule, individuals must inspect the concluding section of their visa, which clarifies if they are bound by this rule. For those not subjected to the 2-year rule, the process is comparatively uncomplicated. However, for those to whom it applies, navigating through the waiver process can be intricate.

Another vital factor for J1 visa holders is their existing legal standing. Some individuals might prematurely conclude their program, resulting in undocumented status. This undocumented status often presents substantial challenges. A significant portion of J1 visa holders transition either to a student or tourist status. In some instances, they may establish romantic relationships with US citizens or Green Card holders, leading to marriage.

The transition to tourist status comes with a stipulation of a maximum 6-month stay. In making the shift from J1 to a tourist status, individuals declare their intention to reside in the US for no longer than 6 months, ensuring they possess adequate finances to support their stay and excursions within the country. In essence, they seek a period for exploration.

The process of transitioning to a student status presents its own set of complexities. Gaining acceptance from an educational institution and securing the I-20 document from the said institution is mandatory. A pivotal factor is demonstrating the capability to cover educational expenses without resorting to unauthorized employment. Potential students might either have sufficient funds or, in its absence, require a sponsor. Transitioning to the F1 or student status may necessitate an extended waiting period for the approval of the status change. It’s imperative during this period to refrain from unauthorized employment. Individuals may either patiently await their status approval at home or engage in tourism activities; however, employment remains strictly off-limits.

While there are other alternatives available, they are not as commonly pursued. The majority of inquiries tend to focus on the transition to a student status. A recurring query is, “Upon applying as a student, is a return to Turkey feasible?” Regrettably, although the application bestows a specific status within the US, it does not correspondingly confer a visa. This implies that if one has transitioned from a J1 to student status, specifically through the I-539 application, this does not inherently provide travel privileges. Should one wish to visit Turkey and subsequently return, a fresh visa application becomes indispensable.

Need Advice?
Make an Appointment!

Akalan Law Firm, PLLC
All Rights Reserved © 2024